Montana Make It with Wool Competition follows all National Make It with Wool Criteria. Please read the National MIWW brochure at www.nationalmakeitwithwool.com
Age categories: Pre-Teen, Junior, Senior, Adult & Made for Others. All age categories participate at the district level. Contestants enter and participate in District Contests (between September and November each year) based on the county where they reside. If you have a conflict with the date of your District Contest, you may participate in another district contest. Please contact the District Director before you send in your entry form (at least 4 weeks before the event.)
First Place Winners in the Junior, Senior, Adult and Made for Others Categories advance to the State Competition held during the Annual Montana Wool Growers Convention in Billings December 6-7, 2019 at the Billings Hotel and Convention Center
Counties: Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, Mineral, Missoula, Ravalli and Sanders
Contest Date: October 27, 2019
Contact State Director
Counties: Beaverhead, Deer Lodge, Gallatin, Granite, Jefferson, Madison, Park, Powell and Silver Bow
Contest Date: October 26, 2019
Director: Jean Harrison
615 Highland Avenue
Dillon, MT 59725
Counties: Blaine, Broadwater, Cascade, Chouteau, Glacier, Hill, Judith Basin, Lewis & Clark, Liberty, Meagher, Pondera, Teton and Toole
Contest Date: November 2, 2019
Director: Janet Smith
1212 Valley View
Great Falls, MT 59404
Counties: Big Horn, Carbon, Fergus, Golden Valley, Musselshell, Petroleum, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, Wheatland and Yellowstone
Contest Date: November 10, 2019
Contact State Director
Counties: Daniels, Phillips, Roosevelt, Sheridan, Valley, Dawson, Garfield, McCone, Prairie, Richland and Wibaux
Contest Date: October 24, 2019
Director: Leslie McMillen
314 Road 101
Sidney, MT 59270
Counties: Custer, Fallon, Carter, Powder River, Rosebud and Treasure
Contest Date: November 3, 2019
Directors: Christine Keltner
2200 Cabin Creek Road
Ismay, MT 59336
Entry forms are available from District, State or National Directors and at www.nationalmakeitwithwool.com.
Send a copy of the form to all three (3) people below:
1) Appropriate District Director (see inside of brochure) with yarn sample or 5” x 5” fabric sample. Please Note: The entry form does not ask that a yarn/fabric sample be sent to the District Director—but please do so.
2) Send the State Director a copy of the form with entry fee ($7 per swatch of fabric or yarn used) to:
Montana MIWW Director
4187 Old Post Road
Havre, MT 59501
3) Send the National Director a copy of the form with entry fee (flat $12 fee) and a piece of yarn or fabric samples to:
National MIWW Director
PO Box 215
Encampment, WY 82325
Entry form and fees are due FOUR WEEKS before the District Contest.
District Level: Wool fabric and sewing supplies for all contestants. Junior, Senior, Adult & Made for Others category winners will compete in the State Competition.
State Level: Wool fabric and sewing supplies for all contestants. Junior and Senior State Winners will receive a trip to the National MIWW Competition.
Adult Winner will receive wool fabric and a cash prize to help cover the cost of shipping the garment and creating a video for judging at the National Level.
Major funding provided by:
Montana Wool Growers
Montana Sheep Producers
136th Annual Montana Wool Growers Association Convention
December 6-7, 2019
Billings Hotel & Convention Center
American Sheep Industry Association
January 23-25, 2020
Scottsdale Plaza Resort
1) Quilt top fiber content must be at least 60% wool.
2) Batting must be at least 60% wool or 100% cotton.
3) Backing must be at least 60% natural fiber (wool, cotton, linen, or silk).
4) Quilt may be constructed by an individual or group.
5) Any construction technique or combination may be used (machine and/or hand).
6) Each quilt should have a label securely attached to the back (name and address).
1) Yarn must be at least 60% wool.
2) Item can be knitted or crocheted.
3) Label back with name and address.
General Contest Rules
1) Sizes: Wall hanging/Table runner, 56” X 72” throw (approx.), Twin, Queen, King, Afghan.
2) Quilt/Afghan must be completed during the current contest year Jan 1-Nov 15, 2016.
3) Any individual or group may construct item.
4) Any age individual or group.
5) Entry fee is $10 per entry and is due Nov 1st, 2016.
6) Mail entry form, fee, 1” X 1” samples of each fabric used, a 4” X 4” batting sample, and for afghans, a 2” piece of each yarn to: Jean Harrison, 615 Highland Ave., Dillon, MT 59725.
7) The contest will be held in conjunction with the state MIWW contest Dec 3, 2016.
8) Quilts will be displayed during the Annual MT Woolgrowers Convention and Style Show. Awards will be presented along with the MIWW garment awards.
9) If you want your quilt protected you must put it in clear plastic. Contestants must make arrangements to pick-up entries at the contest or provide postage and insurance.